As the popularity of single-ply roofs has increased over the last quarter of the 20th century, the demand for cover boards has been on the decline. Because of this, much of the advancements made in this area went virtually unnoticed.
More recently, many advantages of using cover boards have come to light and have helped increase their use. This is understandable when you look at all of the benefits that they can bring:
- They help with insulation. When they are installed over underlying insulation with staggered joints, thermal loss around the insulation is reduced.
- They help with recycling. Although the cover board itself may be hard to recycle, it will preserve the insolation under it. This allows for the insulation to be reused on new roofs.
- They help you get a full return out of your insulation investment. Cover boards help protect insulation from crushing and other damage that could affect the energy efficiency. Due to building codes requiring an R-value of up to 35, insulation can be a substantial investment.
- They protect from premature roof failure. Many roofs don’t wear out because of premature roof failure. Cover boards protect from many of the causes of premature failure from foot traffic, high winds, hail, etc.
- Roof systems using cover boards tend to have higher wind and fire ratings. This also can extend the service life of the roof.
Not only are there many advantages to cover boards, but there are also a plethora of options for cover boards and just as many different thicknesses to choose from. You can purchase everything from moisture resistant gypsum to high-density mineral wool products.
All things considered, cover boards can be a very energy efficient, sustainable, and much more resistant to wear and tear. It can be a great way to ensure a return on your roofing investment.
For a commercial, industrial, or institutional building owner, the roof of your building is one of the most critical elements of your property management programs. With clients occupying those spaces, or potentially millions of dollars worth of equipment inside your property, a leaky roof cannot be tolerated. Controlling the cost of your roofing programs, while maintaining the integrity and full lifespan of your investment, must be a top priority. The problem many seem to face is how to deal with all the different types of roofs they may be responsible to maintain. When a manager oversees buildings roofed with a variety of materials, such as BUR, single ply (EPDM, TPO, PVC, etc), metal, modified bitumen, and low rise foam, it can be difficult to know how to deal with each roof type, if you are not a professional roofing contractor. That is when having a partner who will work with you, with your best intentions in mind, is absolutely critical.
At ISR, our team will work with you to maximize the useful life of your roofing systems. Covering all of western North Carolina and southwestern Virginia, we are ready to respond to any roof leaks you may encounter or set up a long term roof management program to extend the life of your existing flat or low slope roof system.
Full service commercial roofing contractor
Service all flat and low slope roof types
Install rooftop wind turbine systems
Install skylights other types of roof penetrations
Install green roof systems
Seal and waterproof leaky HVAC systems
Develop long term roof maintenance programs
Most importantly, we make your job easier by removing the burden of roof care off your shoulders.